Howard Law

dougiemac

Captain
Owner
Site Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Zip code
The following are not rules of the site and everyone does things differently, however these are a few practices I follow to enjoy successful deals on Southeast Traders.
  1. You can ask for whatever price you want for your property / item. If you receive negative comments in your ad, report the comment using the report link and a moderator / administrator will remove the comment. Don't engage the negative commenter, just report the comment immediately. Don't feed the trolls.
  2. Be sure to posts photos and make sure they're not blurry, out of focus, dimly lit, black gun on a black background, etc. photos. And be sure to post as many photos as possible to show the item off. More / better photos, the easier it is to sell.
  3. You can ask for a Bill of Sale (BOS), however the community in general are not fans of BOS's and you will get resistance from potential buyers if you request a BOS. Many members do not like the idea of a stranger having their personal information in their possession, possibly losing it and it falling into the wrong hands and being misused. In a time of identity theft, this is a major concern for many individuals.
  4. Be sure to be honest and upfront about the condition of the item. Don't attempt to hide damage, etc. but rather point it out. Your reputation and your word is worth so much more than a few dollars.
  5. Follow the site rules when it comes to listing an item: value, don't excessively bump, etc.
  6. Make all offers and negotiations via Private Message. This is just professional courtesy.
  7. Be flexible: time, location, price, etc. Make this a win-win for everyone.
  8. Build up a rapport over Private Messenger first when negotiating a deal. This helps with feeling out the other member for both of your safety.
  9. Check the other member's feedback. (I personally will only deal with reputable Supporters with positive feedback, preferably with a lot of feedback, but to each his/her own.)
  10. Consider even Private Messaging members that the other party recently dealt with to get their feeling on the person.
  11. Exchange cell numbers and consider calling the member either during the negotiation process or at very least before leaving to meet them to get a feeling for who they are beyond the Private Messages.
  12. Be sure to solidify the Committed Deal (time/date, place, price, and what all is included) with a confirmation in a Private Message (this is important in case you need to leave negative feedback if they would back out and leave you hanging. It also provides a digital paper trail for you.)
  13. Consider only making a deal during daylight hours, in a mutually convenient, well lit, heavily trafficked / busy location (gun store parking lot, WalMart parking lot, gun range parking lot, etc.)
  14. Let the other party know what kind of vehicle you are driving and ask for theirs.
  15. Be on time. In fact be 5 mins early if possible, and remember variables like traffic and weather. When you arrive, text them to let the other party know you have arrived and where you are parked.
  16. If something out of your control comes up, call - don't text, but please call the other individual and let them know so you don't waste their time, gas and money. Then reschedule as soon as possible and be more flexible to their needs since you cancelled originally due to circumstances out of your control I would even suggest offering a discount or throwing in something extra. Karma goes a long ways.
  17. Bring exact change. If the deal is $1025, don't bring $1100 and expect the other member to have change.
  18. When meeting the individual, strike up a conversation and get to know them. You'll be surprised who you will meet, some local and national celebrities are members on this site. (Also, many of my closest friends I have made, have been made through deals and meetups on this site.)
  19. Before the deal proceeds, ask to see their Weapons Permit / Carry Permit and/or a Driver's License at very least (I prefer the Weapons License).
  20. If they are a legal resident that legally can possess a firearm, and your "Spidey Senses" don't go off a tingling, then proceed to inspect the item and upon satisfaction by both parties, make the deal, shake on it, thank them graciously and let them know you will leave positive feedback and close your ad. Remember it's "Buyer Beware" and once you've accepted the deal and both parties go their separate ways, the deal is complete with no implied warranties unless otherwise disclosed by the seller.
With this information, you now have enough to go on to make a good judgment whether to sell/buy from this member and you should leave this information with your spouse, trusted family or friend for your safety if going alone to the meet up.

For the most part, this is a great community of good people...salt of the earth, do anything for you type of people.

However, always be prudent and do your due diligence.

Good Luck!

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
McDonough, Georgia
Zip code
I would suggest mentioning #19 at the same time as 12 if you will require to se a GWCL as part of the deal

Reactions: Flipper

DarthVader

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Excellent post! I'll add one more after a recent experience a friend had on another site.

Once you agree on a deal, negotiations are over. Don't come back a day later and haggle for a discount. If you say you'll take it, you're committed. And don't freaking show up to the deal with over $100 in singles, that are mysteriously short by the amount you tried to get reduced earlier. Asshole.

DarthVader

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
This is true. There are still some good ones out there. Just pick your deals accordingly.
I've gotten to where I will cancel a deal quick if someone won't communicate or gets flaky, making excuses, etc. Known members, whether I've done deals with them or not always get the benefit of the doubt though. It's pretty simple really. Make an offer, negotiate quickly, don't waste people's time. If you agree on a deal, follow through with quick payment for stuff being shipped and good comms. If you're a seller, ship as fast as possible and confirm with tracking sent to the buyer. Let your yes be yes and your no be no. Be a man. Remember that your word should have value to others and to yourself.

Reactions: JimJski and Cudruln

Handylike994

Hunter
Mar 29, 2021
Atlanta
The following are not rules of the site and everyone does things differently, however these are a few practices I follow to enjoy successful deals on Southeast Traders.
  1. You can ask for whatever price you want for your property / item. If you receive negative comments in your ad, report the comment using the report link and a moderator / administrator will remove the comment. Don't engage the negative commenter, just report the comment immediately. Don't feed the trolls.
  2. Be sure to posts photos and make sure they're not blurry, out of focus, dimly lit, black gun on a black background, etc. photos. And be sure to post as many photos as possible to show the item off. More / better photos, the easier it is to sell.
  3. You can ask for a Bill of Sale (BOS), however the community in general are not fans of BOS's and you will get resistance from potential buyers if you request a BOS. Many members do not like the idea of a stranger having their personal information in their possession, possibly losing it and it falling into the wrong hands and being misused. In a time of identity theft, this is a major concern for many individuals.
  4. Be sure to be honest and upfront about the condition of the item. Don't attempt to hide damage, etc. but rather point it out. Your reputation and your word is worth so much more than a few dollars.
  5. Follow the site rules when it comes to listing an item: value, don't excessively bump, etc.
  6. Make all offers and negotiations via Private Message. This is just professional courtesy.
  7. Be flexible: time, location, price, etc. Make this a win-win for everyone.
  8. Build up a rapport over Private Messenger first when negotiating a deal. This helps with feeling out the other member for both of your safety.
  9. Check the other member's feedback. (I personally will only deal with reputable Supporters with positive feedback, preferably with a lot of feedback, but to each his/her own.)
  10. Consider even Private Messaging members that the other party recently dealt with to get their feeling on the person.
  11. Exchange cell numbers and consider calling the member either during the negotiation process or at very least before leaving to meet them to get a feeling for who they are beyond the Private Messages.
  12. Be sure to solidify the Committed Deal (time/date, place, price, and what all is included) with a confirmation in a Private Message (this is important in case you need to leave negative feedback if they would back out and leave you hanging. It also provides a digital paper trail for you.)
  13. Consider only making a deal during daylight hours, in a mutually convenient, well lit, heavily trafficked / busy location (gun store parking lot, WalMart parking lot, gun range parking lot, etc.)
  14. Let the other party know what kind of vehicle you are driving and ask for theirs.
  15. Be on time. In fact be 5 mins early if possible, and remember variables like traffic and weather. When you arrive, text them to let the other party know you have arrived and where you are parked.
  16. If something out of your control comes up, call - don't text, but please call the other individual and let them know so you don't waste their time, gas and money. Then reschedule as soon as possible and be more flexible to their needs since you cancelled originally due to circumstances out of your control I would even suggest offering a discount or throwing in something extra. Karma goes a long ways.
  17. Bring exact change. If the deal is $1025, don't bring $1100 and expect the other member to have change.
  18. When meeting the individual, strike up a conversation and get to know them. You'll be surprised who you will meet, some local and national celebrities are members on this site. (Also, many of my closest friends I have made, have been made through deals and meetups on this site.)
  19. Before the deal proceeds, ask to see their Weapons Permit / Carry Permit and/or a Driver's License at very least (I prefer the Weapons License).
  20. If they are a legal resident that legally can possess a firearm, and your "Spidey Senses" don't go off a tingling, then proceed to inspect the item and upon satisfaction by both parties, make the deal, shake on it, thank them graciously and let them know you will leave positive feedback and close your ad. Remember it's "Buyer Beware" and once you've accepted the deal and both parties go their separate ways, the deal is complete with no implied warranties unless otherwise disclosed by the seller.
With this information, you now have enough to go on to make a good judgment whether to sell/buy from this member and you should leave this information with your spouse, trusted family or friend for your safety if going alone to the meet up.

For the most part, this is a great community of good people...salt of the earth, do anything for you type of people.

However, always be prudent and do your due diligence.

Good Luck!