1911 Issue **UPDATE**

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
No the issue is not that I have a 1911, or two. And not that I need another, we'll maybe I do need another!!!

Question is this:

Slide locked open, eject empty mag, jam new mag in, give it a bump on the bottom to seat mag... should it automatically release the slide and chamber a round?

It will not do this if you insert an empty mag (as I assume the reason the slide locked to start with, empty mag). It was doing this on my 9mm, which may have a total of 5-8mags through it. Even when gently inserting a mag, bump the bottom and the slide releases. The 10mm wouldn't do it and don't recall with my 45acp.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
It's not supposed to do that. That sounds like a poor fitment of the slide stop.

Reactions: 1776

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Nope. Take a look at the slide stop, probably just needs to be stoned down a bit to fit properly. Is it an aftermarket slide stop? Make?

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
No, all factory. SR1911 9mm.

It's easy enough to fix yourself but I'd call Ruger and make them do it and give the entire gun a once over. If the slide stop is out of spec there's no telling what else was missed too. Act pissed and make them send you some swag back with the gun, lol.

I used to have a Glock that did the same thing and I actually liked it. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable with a single action 1911 doing that though.

Reactions: dial1911

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
It's easy enough to fix yourself but I'd call Ruger and make them do it and give the entire gun a once over. If the slide stop is out of spec there's no telling what else was missed too. Act pissed and make them send you some swag back with the gun, lol.

I used to have a Glock that did the same thing and I actually liked it. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable with a single action 1911 doing that though.
I think the Gen 2s were loved for it. But you still had intentionally make the slide drop.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net

Ha... I was reminded at the match today that if you ram a mag into my G34 hard enough, it will release the slide and be ready to go again by the time you get two hands on the grip... It's not quite right, but I'm not complaining! If you handle it like a normal person, it's fine- slide stays locked back. Give it a "FU the clock is running" hit when you seat the mag and it's chambered and ready.

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
Ha... I was reminded at the match today that if you ram a mag into my G34 hard enough, it will release the slide and be ready to go again by the time you get two hands on the grip... It's not quite right, but I'm not complaining! If you handle it like a normal person, it's fine- slide stays locked back. Give it a "FU the clock is running" hit when you seat the mag and it's chambered and ready.

It is a cool feature! Not one that I want someone else handling!

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code

Not uncommon on polymer-framed pistols.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
It is a cool feature! Not one that I want someone else handling!

You're definitely right about that... someone else would take my pistol to the line and end up with a WTF look on their face. The real answer for that person is run it hard, keep you finger off the trigger, and make it breathe fire when you're on target.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
Not uncommon on polymer-framed pistols.

Well, I'm glad to hear that.

At first, I thought I might be hitting the extended slide release with my thumb when I crammed in the fresh mag in- however, after some testing at home (unloaded, of course), I found that I could hit it hard enough to drop the slide. I'm not hitting it so hard that it hurts my hand, but it's darn sure not a "normal day at the range" reload.

Reactions: cmshoot

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
Update:

Sent the gun off to Ruger! Didn't send any mags with it. They report back that they aren't getting the same results. State that it could be my mags.
Get the gun back. Try it again and I'm still getting the same result. So, call Ruger back, get 2 new mags and supposed to send the others back. New mags I get the same result!!! So puzzled I try my SR1911 45acp and 10mm and they do the same!

So am I over reacting to this?

Here's a video of what is happening!

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Update:

Sent the gun off to Ruger! Didn't send any mags with it. They report back that they aren't getting the same results. State that it could be my mags.
Get the gun back. Try it again and I'm still getting the same result. So, call Ruger back, get 2 new mags and supposed to send the others back. New mags I get the same result!!! So puzzled I try my SR1911 45acp and 10mm and they do the same!

My guess would be an out of spec slide stop. Take it to a gunsmith and get them to check it. It'll only cost a few bucks to get a diagnosis and then send that to Ruger and demand that they fix the issue.

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
My guess would be an out of spec slide stop. Take it to a gunsmith and get them to check it. It'll only cost a few bucks to get a diagnosis and then send that to Ruger and demand that they fix the issue.

I'm a little concerned that all of them do it!

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
That sucks. One of the reasons I love Ruger is that they are usually on the spot with taking care of things.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Update:

Half my autos from different manufacturers do that.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
The 9mm did it the easiest!

Most likely because the 9mm has a much lighter recoil spring than a .45 will.

Just a guess without actually looking at the gun, could be one or more of the following:

1. Slide stop. Could be the part that engages the cutout in the slide is too short, or it has an angle to it.
Could also be the surface of the slide stop that is pushed against by the detent is not machined properly.

2. The notch in the slide that is engaged by the slide stop is not machined properly (too small, wrong angle, etc.).

3. The detent and spring that engages the slide stop could be incorrect.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Take a close up pic of the slide stop area like this when it locks open on an empty mag, not you doing it manually.

Dave_Williams_10-8_Slide_Stop.jpg

It's a shame Ruger couldn't get it right.