17 Wild Facts About Vietnam War

Howard Law
H

Hoss

Did you know that the US trained Ho Chi Minh, gave him arms and promised to give them independence from France if they'd fight against the Japanese in WWII?

dougiemac

UFC Champ
Owner
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Zip code
Did you know that the US trained Ho Chi Minh, gave him arms and promised to give them independence from France if they'd fight against the Japanese in WWII?

That I actually did know. Our guide told us a lot about Ho Chi Minh as we hiked the trail and later that week when we visited his memorial.

H

Hoss

Yeah, we abandoned them after the war and gave them back to France. China stepped up to fill the gap.

Frogman

Brony
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Did you know that China invaded Vietnam shortly after the US left and china lost horribly even though they claimed victory :)

Reactions: Hoss

dougiemac

UFC Champ
Owner
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Zip code
Did you know that China invaded Vietnam shortly after the US left and china lost horribly even though they claimed victory :)

China is still invading them. They were claiming islands off the coast of Vietnam last year when I was there.

Reactions: Hoss

Frogman

Brony
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I forget the address but the Chinese version of youtube has a bunch of videos recorded by soldiers of the Chinese army during the 77 invasion or was it 78?

Hayata

This Space for Rent
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
So, before the beginning of WWII under secret decree President Roosevelt established the American Volunteer Group to aid Madame Chiang Ka Shek in her fight against the Japanese. Please forgive the spelling.

The "Flying Tigers" under the leadership of Claire Chennault scored serious victories over the Japanese air forces despite the superiority of the Japanese aircraft. This was happening just after the war started and was just a glimpse of hope for the American homefront while our forces were suffering defeat across the globe.

Pretty soon we started winning and three years later despite our leadership we never could "figure out" this part of the world. Probably leading to the Vietnam War.

Reactions: Abishai