Faktory 47
Jan 3, 2017
Nashville, Tennessee
Zip code
Working on a build and I'm starting out with a build parts list, because I'm organized like that.

I'm building a 5.56 SBR project, a Spike's/Strike Industries idea I've had in my head for a while. I've got almost all of my parts found and sourced out but I'm having a hard time deciding on a barrel.

I'm looking for a good quality barrel that won't break the bank, I don't mind paying for quality but I also don't want to drop an enormous amount of money on one. The upper/lower are Spike's Tactical, the rifle will be suppressed quite a bit when being used, and I'm looking to be able to stretch it out 200-300 yards if needed but the majority of the time it will be kept inside the 100-200 yard range.

Any suggestions out there? Also, what have any of you found to be the better gas system with the above considered?

thebull

Noveske till my pants fall off
Apr 9, 2016
Vinnings
Zip code
Noveske !!! Just got my 10.5" in today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Also love my sionics 11.5" reduced gas port. So far 120 rounds flawless not suppressed too lol. Still waiting on my can :/

Jan 3, 2017
Nashville, Tennessee
Zip code
Checking out the Sionics now, good prices and they're getting good reviews. I'm seeing that the reduced gas port barrel is suggested to not run non-suppressed because it may cause cycle issues. There will be times that I run this rifle non-suppressed, should I stick with a regular gas port and an adjustable gas block?

Also, I'm seeing some mid length 11.5" barrels out there but not nearly as many as carbine length. I've always thought the 11.5" barrel ran better off a carbine length gas system, is this correct?

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Checking out the Sionics now, good prices and they're getting good reviews. I'm seeing that the reduced gas port barrel is suggested to not run non-suppressed because it may cause cycle issues. There will be times that I run this rifle non-suppressed, should I stick with a regular gas port and an adjustable gas block?

Also, I'm seeing some mid length 11.5" barrels out there but not nearly as many as carbine length. I've always thought the 11.5" barrel ran better off a carbine length gas system, is this correct?
I cant help much with the second part. But I have only run my Sionics unsuppressed so far with no issues. Plenty of gas to cycle the action. Gonna need @Wallace and @DarthVader to help with the detailed stuff youre asking though.

Jan 3, 2017
Nashville, Tennessee
Zip code
I cant help much with the second part. But I have only run my Sionics unsuppressed so far with no issues. Plenty of gas to cycle the action. Gonna need @Wallace and @DarthVader to help with the detailed stuff youre asking though.

Perhaps they know why there are some out there but I've always been told and understood that the carbine length gas system was best for the 11.5" barrel. I think it's probably a non-issue that I'm probably putting too much thought into.

Glad to hear you're having no issues running unsuppressed, mind sharing what BCG and Buffer setup you're using?

thebull

Noveske till my pants fall off
Apr 9, 2016
Vinnings
Zip code
[QUOTE="LeatherHeadShooter, post: 262536, member: 3470 There will be times that I run this rifle non-suppressed, should I stick with a regular gas port and an adjustable gas block?

A[/QUOTE]
Look at the bootleg adj. BCG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Perhaps they know why there are some out there but I've always been told and understood that the carbine length gas system was best for the 11.5" barrel. I think it's probably a non-issue that I'm probably putting too much thought into.

Glad to hear you're having no issues running unsuppressed, mind sharing what BCG and Buffer setup you're using?
DD BCG and VLTOR A5 rifle length tube and A5-3 buffer. Darth might have to correct me on wording or vernaculars here but thats my understanding lol. He and Wallace were the brains behind my build :)

Last edited:

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
The purpose of my build, along with one of Darth's and a few others around here, was to not have adjustable crap on our rifles. More crap to break or go wrong.

Jan 3, 2017
Nashville, Tennessee
Zip code
This will be my first SBR build with the intent to run it suppressed quite a bit, so I'm feeling my way around things. I've never messed with adjustable gas blocks but I keep hearing "they're a good idea to have on a part time suppressed gun" in case you have over gassing issues (or something of the sort.)

Personally, I tend to agree with you in that they just seem like something to get out of adjustment or break when you least need them to.

Reactions: Leshaire