Howard Law

I.D.-ten-T

Funnier on the Internet than in real life
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Now here
Zip code
A friend of my wife is interested in giving her husband (one of those lawyers who never sees a courtroom) a gun for his upcoming birthday.

I've taken this guy to the range a couple of times, many years ago. The first time, he had "beginner's luck" (he listened and did what I told him to in the briefing) and did pretty well with a pistol. Second time, he stank because he figured it was simple and he had a natural talent for it.

So she asked for my input regarding a gun for a noob, and I gave her my answers - but I'm curious what y'all would recommend.

I.D.-ten-T

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Now here
Zip code
Best gun for a lawyer??? Probably a 5.56 AR pistol with a box of .300blk ammo.
My reason for mentioning the lawyer part is to say that he's NOT an athletic/outdoors/regular guy. He's a nerd. A nice enough guy, but a nerd nonetheless.

lesptr

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
Shield 9
P365
Glock, 17, 19, 43x, 48, 43
Hellcat (maybe)
Lady Smith
Full size M&P or compact
Since he’s a lawyer, the Lady Smith is probably the most appropriate.

• Haha
Reactions: I.D.-ten-T

I.D.-ten-T

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Now here
Zip code
Shield 9
P365
Glock, 17, 19, 43x, 48, 43
Hellcat (maybe)
Lady Smith
Full size M&P or compact
Since he’s a lawyer, the Lady Smith is probably the most appropriate.
Interesting. All pistols, most of them striker-fired. Hmmm....

I.D.-ten-T

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Now here
Zip code
If a rifle,
10/22
Glock 17/19 or if price matters then a Ruger American.
Or A hammerless .38 Smith.
I'm seeing a pattern already of pistols that are small and concealable, with a lean toward Glock-ish guns. This is something I've noticed in general at stores I've been at/worked at.

What I don't understand is the reason for these choices - specifically for someone who has only shot a gun on two occasions.

Wouldn't you worry the NOOB will have an AD with a Glock? Or be unable to control the flinch with a snubby DAO .38?

lesptr

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
I'm seeing a pattern already of pistols that are small and concealable, with a lean toward Glock-ish guns. This is something I've noticed in general at stores I've been at/worked at.

What I don't understand is the reason for these choices - specifically for someone who has only shot a gun on two occasions.

Wouldn't you worry the NOOB will have an AD with a Glock? Or be unable to control the flinch with a snubby DAO .38?
The flinch with the 38 is a real concern.
The nd with a striker fired is not.
The holster is the safety. When removed, there should be nothing preventing it from firing, such as an external safety.

I.D.-ten-T

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Now here
Zip code
The flinch with the 38 is a real concern.
The nd with a striker fired is not.
The holster is the safety. When removed, there should be nothing preventing it from firing, such as an external safety.
Granted, the holster IS the safety, but I've seen people at ranges who didn't expect the relatively light trigger put a round into the floor, and I've heard of cops who were poorly trained leaving their finger inside the TG and firing off a shot as they holstered.
Remember, this is a NOOB in this scenario. Someone who has no training and is unlikely to seek any beyond whomever he lucks upon at the range.
He thinks he knows enough. Two trips to the range with some blowhard (me) blathering about safety and sight alignment and some other worthless shit was plenty. He's a college grad, after all, with an expensive degree. He can figure this shit out on his own, right? It's simple, like in the movies.

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I am thinking an old school Beretta 92FS or 1911 chambered in 9mm. There is enough gun to help control recoil and both have exposed hammers. I know the 1911 is SAO so may or may not be safer choice.

If 9mm is still too hot then maybe a Bersa Thunder in .380 would work since it is similar to the Beretta.

If 9mm or .380 still too much round, then maybe a 1911-22 for real low power large frame pistol.

Unfortunately, anyone can have an ND so not really sure firearm choice will make a difference. It is the individual that does and or the training they receive. My first real firearm was bolt action .22 and lots of safety instructions from my dad.

Reactions: I.D.-ten-T

madHatter

Tactical Operator
Mar 25, 2015
Medina
Zip code
ruger sr-22
s&w m&p 22
walther pk380
if that doesnt hurt his feelings... then get him a makarov hahaha 9x18mm that has to be sought out and not at wallyworld

or any ruger hammer fired pistols
or M&P 9 v.2 or the polymer cz pistols

lesptr

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
Granted, the holster IS the safety, but I've seen people at ranges who didn't expect the relatively light trigger put a round into the floor, and I've heard of cops who were poorly trained leaving their finger inside the TG and firing off a shot as they holstered.
Remember, this is a NOOB in this scenario. Someone who has no training and is unlikely to seek any beyond whomever he lucks upon at the range.
He thinks he knows enough. Two trips to the range with some blowhard (me) blathering about safety and sight alignment and some other worthless shit was plenty. He's a college grad, after all, with an expensive degree. He can figure this shit out on his own, right? It's simple, like in the movies.
If all of that is true, the only gun that fits him, no gun at all.

Balthaz

AKA - The Garand Jedi
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
Lots of reasons for pointing out a Glock but the most obvious is that it is the AR-15 of the Hand gun world and a novice can take an AR15 and put shots at 50 yards in a man size target with minimal training and the same with a Glock at 20 feet, so ease of use and reliability are the things I look at for a new user and that goes for almost anything.

Reactions: dial1911

Grunk

Hard to be an Outlaw that ain't Wanted anymore
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
If all of that is true, the only gun that fits him, no gun at all.
TRUTH. I started hunting at 6 yrs. old & have been shooting all my life. I still have lots to learns. Especially since the stroke, I tell anybody I shoot with to treat me like I'm a noob & point out anything they see that would help me because I'm having to learn to do some things differently. If he thinks he knows it all, I'd cut a wide path around him. If something goes wrong, he'll blame you because of the gun you recommended. JMO.

I.D.-ten-T

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Now here
Zip code
Pretty soon I'm gonna move this to the thread for posting things that nobody cares about.
Ok Kurt
What was your recommendation to lawyer’s wife?
Ok, now that I’ve heard some other ideas, I’ll reveal what I told her...
First I asked what the purpose of the gun was to be. Hunting guns are different from CCW guns are different from home defense guns, etc.
The answer was “He wants one before he can’t have one anymore because they’re outlawed”. I refrained from starting into that issue.
I suggested first a medium-frame revolver, because I firmly believe that anyone who isn’t going to learn how to really use a handgun should just have a revolver. Easy to clean, no springs in a mag to go bad, no slide or slide stop to mess with, no limp-wristing jams, no parts to lose. K-frame Smith to the rescue.

After that, I suggested several DA/SA semi-autos like the Canik or Tri-Star clones of the Cz 75. Beretta 92 would also be an excellent choice. Maybe a Sig 226 or similar.

For a possible rifle, I went with the AR-15. The 10/22 is another excellent idea I didn’t think of at the time.

Regarding training, Florida requires a certain amount of classes before they issue a CCW permit, so hopefully that would help.
I also overstated the stupidity of this individual - he’s not that idiotic, I just wanted to add a ‘what if’ in there for fun.
Thank you all for your input, I learned something and got a few good chuckles!

Jake

All gun laws are an infringement!
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Southern Gwinnett/Northern Rockdale
Zip code
Something striker-fired. Glock, M&P, P320, FN 509, H&K VP9, Steyr, Beretta Apex, etc. Simple, reliable, and easy to use.
You might have missed it, but the guy wanted to get something that he is worried about not being able to buy anymore in the future because it may get banned.........so he recommended a revolver.

:behindsofa:

cmshoot

Sniper
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
He’s a lawyer, so I assume he’s got a little money. No matter what he chooses, tell him to pay for some training, and not just the crap they make you take to get a toter’s permit.