SET Golfing tips and stories

Howard Law

roadsignmcclanahan

Riding this shit show straight to hell
Aug 13, 2015
Cleveland, TN
Zip code
Just volunteer to drive the cart and say you blew out your rotator cuff a few months ago ;)

But seriously, I've been in your spot; I was a golf instructor about 20 yrs ago, but I haven't picked up a club since ... I found out how out-of-practice I was recently when I took a customer to TopGolf (it was bad .... really bad).....

Just be honest and tell them how it is ... You'll be far better off not trying to fake it.
Oh I will not be trying to fake it. Haha it’s going to be sliced, shanked, and piss poorly hit all day. But luckily it’s more about showing up and being a good sponsor. Haha

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Oh I will not be trying to fake it. Haha it’s going to be sliced, shanked, and piss poorly hit all day. But luckily it’s more about showing up and being a good sponsor. Haha
I hear ya, I tried to start off slow and get my swing back, but they wanted to play the points game at TopGolf where you have to aim for the specific holes in order ... I was okay with the first one since I could rely on a PW or 9 iron, but by the time we got up to the brown and blue holes, my 7 and 5 iron game just wasn't there! I was slicing and shanking all over the place, eventhough I was ending all my swings with my belt buckle facing the target (I probably need a few weeks of regular practice to get my muscle memory back and find my swing again) ;)

I also left with a good amount of pain in my left forearm reminding me how long it's been since I picked up a club!

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I hear ya, I tried to start off slow and get my swing back, but they wanted to play the points game at TopGolf where you have to aim for the specific holes in order ... I was okay with the first one since I could rely on a PW or 9 iron, but by the time we got up to the brown and blue holes, my 7 and 5 iron game just wasn't there! I was slicing and shanking all over the place, eventhough I was ending all my swings with my belt buckle facing the target (I probably need a few weeks of regular practice to get my muscle memory back and find my swing again) ;)

I also left with a good amount of pain in my left forearm reminding me how long it's been since I picked up a club!

I got 3 swings:
dammit to hell Mutha Fucka
FORE! FUCK! sorry
Will ya look at that!

Not great for a farewell tournament for a company president. Thanks God everyone was too drunk to care about the swearing.

I will say the best experience I had was at Reynolds Plantation when the beer girls came around and had no underwear on.

Also, a hindsight 20/20 thought for ya. The white widmouth bottles with sand in them in the holders on the golf cart are NOT urinals.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I got 3 swings:
FORE! FUCK! sorry
Will ya look at that!

Not great for a farewell tournament for a company president. Thanks God everyone was too drunk to care about the swearing.

I will say the best experience I had was at Reynolds Plantation when the beer girls came around and had no underwear on.

Also, a hindsight 20/20 thought for ya. The white widmouth bottles with sand in them in the holders on the golf cart are NOT urinals.
:spit:

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I got 3 swings:
FORE! FUCK! sorry
Will ya look at that!

I hosted a tournament somewhere over by Union city about 10 yrs ago when the airline I was working for did a big start-up in ATL, my regional boss at the time flew in to help host ... I told him immediately that the only thing I was good for was driving a cart and serving drinks - I made sure not to even pick up a club and embarrass us!

I used the excuse that we were handing out a $1000 prize and I didn't want any hint of impropriety.... he bought that line and I stayed employed ;)

roadsignmcclanahan

Aug 13, 2015
Cleveland, TN
Zip code
The "National Sales manager" going with me, got his clubs regripped and has been hitting the range everyday after work. "I won't be a laughing stock, Cam. You already look like a clown so it should be fine for you."
Alright bro, it's a friendly game of golf for their franchisees and sponsoring suppliers...I think it's going to be fine.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Well my days down in Macon are starting to be limited. Our jobs are slowly wrapping up.

Toe up, Toe up.... Don't even make a full swing. Hold the club with the shaft horizontal in your back swing. Point the toe of the club straight up. Make a smooth motion to your follow through when the shaft is horizontal again- and point the toe of the club straight up. Practice that movement and just brush over the grass. Do that a lot. And push a tee into the ground so you know where you're swinging the club... make sure to do you best to pass the center of the club over the center of the tee each time.

Now, after you can brush the grass and point the toe up in your back swing and follow through (don't even think about what is happening in between)... Remember that every movement you make in your legs, body, and shoulders has to come back to the same spot if you want to hit the ball in the way you first set up to it... in other words, don't freaking move around too much. The more you move your shoulders, legs, etc. the more you have to move to put it back in the same place.

Don't think about swinging for power (you have 10 irons in your bag to make up the range/distance). Just make consistent contact with the ball and use an "easy" swing. Don't swing like a 2nd grader, but don't try to be Tiger either. Consistency beats power over 18 holes.

Reactions: roadsignmcclanahan

roadsignmcclanahan

Aug 13, 2015
Cleveland, TN
Zip code
Toe up, Toe up.... Don't even make a full swing. Hold the club with the shaft horizontal in your back swing. Point the toe of the club straight up. Make a smooth motion to your follow through when the shaft is horizontal again- and point the toe of the club straight up. Practice that movement and just brush over the grass. Do that a lot. And push a tee into the ground so you know where you're swinging the club... make sure to do you best to pass the center of the club over the center of the tee each time.

Now, after you can brush the grass and point the toe up in your back swing and follow through (don't even think about what is happening in between)... Remember that every movement you make in your legs, body, and shoulders has to come back to the same spot if you want to hit the ball in the way you first set up to it... in other words, don't freaking move around too much. The more you move your shoulders, legs, etc. the more you have to move to put it back in the same place.

Don't think about swinging for power (you have 10 irons in your bag to make up the range/distance). Just make consistent contact with the ball and use an "easy" swing. Don't swing like a 2nd grader, but don't try to be Tiger either. Consistency beats power over 18 holes.
I printed this in big ass font to take to the range with me tomorrow! I really appreciate the help. There’s no doubt I’ll be bad. But I’ll make them laugh and get to know the franchisees I’m partnering with.

Reactions: dial1911

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
I printed this in big ass font to take to the range with me tomorrow! I really appreciate the help. There’s no doubt I’ll be bad. But I’ll make them laugh and get to know the franchisees I’m partnering with.
Don't do victory donuts on the green.... Especially if it rained the night before... That's how you get banned for life

Grunk

Why leave anything here?
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
xkbn;zdfbmzd
Zip code
Never played much golf. One of the few times was when I was in graduate school in Illinois. Playing a real short par 3 course. We each had I believe a 2 iron, a 7 iron, a PW & putter. Oh and flasks, of course. I had finished on flask & started on another when we got to the 9th (final) hole. I slammed the crap out a ball & (surprisingly) caught it square. Cleared the entire hole & got the door of the course owner's Mercedes as he was pulling in. Of course it was luck. I couldn't have done it on a bet but when he told me I was never welcome on the course again I was just lit enough to tell him that was fine, I was obviously too strong for his kiddie course.

Then there was the time of doing tequila shots & peyote regularly playing in the Arizona heat. 4 of us managed to lose like a dozen balls on one hole. To this day, I think we may have hit some back towards the tee. Another course I was told never to return to.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
A long time ago, I was helping a girlfriend of mine how to play golf. One Saturday, she called me and said that she went to play 9 holes of golf, but she had to quit early and go home. I asked her what was wrong.
She said that she was stung by a bee "Between the 1st and 2nd hole..."

I said, "Oh, I'm guessing that your stance was too wide..."