Just to confirm: No special provisions to take a suppressor to another state...

Faktory 47

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I have an upcoming trip that has afforded me the ability to take a couple of pistols as well as my suppressor with me.

I'm headed to TX (via airline) where suppressors are legal, I have transported firearms via air on several occasions and plan to pack the suppressor in the same case as the pistols... but I just wanted to confirm that nothing has changed lately and I did not need an ATF letter.

Thanks!

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
Im pretty sure you definitely maybe need to either get papers or not get papers to do that. Does this help?

Reactions: Slacker1972

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Im pretty sure you definitely maybe need to either get papers or not get papers to do that. Does this help?
No, it doesn't.

How many empty Miller Lite cans have you stacked in a pyramid?

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
Pretty sure you still have to file a letter of intent to take any nfa item out of the state you live.

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Pretty sure you still have to file a letter of intent to take any nfa item out of the state you live.
Even if taken to a state where they are legal?

Do you have a link? (Not trying to be argumentative, just really trying to figure out if any paperwork is required)

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
From guntrustlawyer...

The ATF requires prior authorization after a written request to transport any destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun under Section 922(a)(4), The ATF does not require this prior authorization for a suppressor. While the prior authorization from the ATF is not required, we do still recommend obtaining an approved Form 20 from the ATF for Suppressors before crossing state lines. We feel that it is better to have a document from the federal government stating it is legal to be in possession of the item in another state than is listed on your Form 4 or Form 1 which was used to acquire the item.

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
I suppose it's about the risk...file nothing and may have it confiscated temporarily if you're searched for some reason. Last I heard it can be weeks or months to get the approval letters back though...but I'm just a peon and only know what the interwebs tells me

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
From guntrustlawyer...

The ATF requires prior authorization after a written request to transport any destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun under Section 922(a)(4), The ATF does not require this prior authorization for a suppressor. While the prior authorization from the ATF is not required, we do still recommend obtaining an approved Form 20 from the ATF for Suppressors before crossing state lines. We feel that it is better to have a document from the federal government stating it is legal to be in possession of the item in another state than is listed on your Form 4 or Form 1 which was used to acquire the item.
So from your quote: The ATF does not require this prior authorization for a suppressor means I'm good ... yes?

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I suppose it's about the risk...file nothing and may have it confiscated temporarily if you're searched for some reason. Last I heard it can be weeks or months to get the approval letters back though...but I'm just a peon and only know what the interwebs tells me

Your own link said it wasn't necessary.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
In my case, I will be "searched" so-to-speak as I'm going to be checking it in at the airport and the TSA will review the contents of the case (a couple of pistols, suppressor and some ammo) before it is locked up for transport.