Join teamSETI & Help Fight Cancer

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

offbeat404

Scout
Apr 26, 2015
Zip code
So whats this all about?
It's called folding at home and used by researchers to find cures for diseases.

What is folding @home?
it's a small program written by Stanford university you download, install and let run in the background while doing nothing.

Years ago the researchers realized they cant compute this stuff fast enough, even with the fastest super computers in the world it would take untold decades, so someone had an idea, instead of trying to crunch all the data at once on one computer why not break it up into pieces and send them to peoples pc's, this way we can use all those wasted CPU cycles, in effect creating the worlds biggest supercomputer.
You can pause it, set the amount of CPU to use, and even turn it off when you feel like it, or when it effects other things like gaming or videos etc. as long as it has a reasonable amount of time to finish the work it's fine, but too long (days) and the work is late and gets discarded.

Does it work?
Yes they have made many advances towards curing diseases with the help of this program, a similar effort was used to crack the human genome so quickly a few years back.

How do i find more information about folding?
Look here: Folding@home - Science

Ok looks cool so i want to help out what do i do?
simple, download here : Folding@home - HomePage
there are Windows as well as Mac and linux versions.

It will ask for the team number which is 230129. Enter that and your SET user name. You are now part of teamSETI.

How do I know my/our stats?

Clicking on your name within the program will take you to the Main F@H stat server.
It will show your standing with the team and the current team stats.
But it will not show you anything under your name until you start to turn in work for the first time.

Hey i noticed it wants access to the internet is it spying on me?
No! there is no back door action :D, no advertisements, nothing, it simply needs to connect to receive work and send results.

Is this popular?
Yes, it has been around for a while and there are well known teams from many of your favorite websites.

Ok so what's in it for me?
beyond making a positive impact on research, we can quickly move up the ranks and become one of the biggest teams out there.
Sometimes the fun is waiting for those 3 extra points so you can pass another team in the rankings.

Look at it this way, wouldn't it be great to know years from now when you or a loved one or friend comes down with an illness-you helped cure it in the past? The disease you help cure today could be the one you wake up with tomorrow.........

Last edited:

offbeat404

Scout
Apr 26, 2015
Zip code
Once you have successfully folded one unit for teamSETI you can request the folding@home badge - send me a pm

In fairness to those who will (hopefully) be participating on a regular basis and as an incentive to keep the teamSETI title, regular participation is encouraged. Those who complete a work unit or two and then stop the client just to get the title risk losing the title. Inactivity for 6 months is also grounds for removing the title.

Sidenote: sometimes, depending on the work unit it can take awhile to show some progress, i have had some cores (the work unit) take over a week to finish and others done in few hours so it depends what they send you.

Last edited:

offbeat404

Scout
Apr 26, 2015
Zip code
PantherX said:
Below are some broad suggestions to help fix an issue that you might have. Please note that these are generic tips and suggestions so it may not apply to your particular setup. We do encourage you to create a thread in the appropriate Forum to get help specific to your needs.

For overheating of the CPU, you can try the following:
A) Make sure that the cooling system is properly set-up
B) Make sure that the cooling system is clean and that no dust or debris is blocking the ventilation
C) Reduce the number the CPUs used by F@H. In V7, this is done via the Advanced Control -> Configure -> Slots Tab -> CPU -> Replace -1 with a number greater than or equal to 1
D) If you CPU is overclocked, consider reducing the frequencies to lower the heat output

For overheating of the GPU, you can try the following:
A) Make sure that the cooling system is properly set-up
B) Make sure that the cooling system is clean and that no dust or debris is blocking the ventilation
C) If you GPU is overclocked, consider reducing the frequencies to lower the heat output

Despite fulfilling all the requirements for QRB, if you are not getting bonus points, you may check:
A) Are there any typos in the Username and/or Passkey?
B) Is the Username/Passkey combination qualified for the QRB?
C) Are any of your clients producing errors which may have caused you to fall below the 80% WU return rate?
D) Are you finishing the WU before the Preferred Deadline?
E) Is the Client properly configured?

If you can't upload WUs, make sure:
1) You are connected to the internet
2) Your security application isn't blocking F@H connections. If it is, please create an exception

With so many multi-cpu systems around these days and the fact that browsing only uses a % of the cpu/gpu resources, it makes sense to donate the unused time particularly on desktop systems.

Below is a list of links which you may find helpful:

Windows V7 Installation Guide: Details
Linux V7 Installation Guide: Details
OSX V7 Installation Guide: Details
F@H Username Selection: Details
F@H Passkey: Details
F@H Wikipedia Article: Details
F@H Homepage: Details

Last edited:

offbeat404

Scout
Apr 26, 2015
Zip code
3ngIuGX.png

Last edited:

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
So we're mining for bitcoin for cancer research?

Reactions: Strider12