I'd Encourage All of You to Make a Donation to the GOA

Grunk

Hard to be an Outlaw that ain't Wanted anymore
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
I know this is long (Hey, I'm a wordy bastard when something matters to me :noidea:). Please read.

I sent what little extra I had to the GOA last month. I decided to try & strengthen a couple of other organizations out of today's paycheck.

I joined both the Firearms Policy Coalition. They're speaking out strongly against Red Flag laws & just this week won a case in Pennsylvania restoring a man's right to own firearms because he had been subjected to an ex parte hearing (he wasn't there or represented) where a single doctor testified about his mental state. The US District Court for Eastern Pennsylvania issued a summary judgment stating that this in no way the Pennsylvania Statute met the requirements of the federal legal definition of an "adjudication". I think getting precedents like this on the books BEFORE Red Flag laws are passed will provide grounds for challenges.

To quote briefly from the judgment:
“Section 302 of [Pennsylvania’s Mental Health Procedures Act, or “MHPA”] does not meet 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(4)’s permanent restriction on an individual’s ability to acquire, possess, or use a firearm,” the Court held. “While Section 302 . . . may be enough to justify an involuntary examination and treatment, the nature of [] its non-adversarial ex parte procedure without notice, or opportunity to present evidence, does not constitute an ‘adjudication’ under Section 922(g)(4); nor does Section 302’s 120-hour maximum ‘involuntary emergency examination and treatment’ constitute a ‘commitment to a mental institution’ under Section 922(g)(4).”

I also joined the 2nd Amendment Foundation. These are the guys that did all the heavy lifting on the US Supreme Court Heller case with the NRA only jumping in at the end. There is even some evidence the NRA even tried to squash the case because they thought it was "unwinnable".

It was only $25 to join the FPC & only $15 to join SAF (I added a $10 donation.) $50 is a lot of money for us these days but I feel like the Republic is truly in danger. I may have to explain to my wife because $ is so tight., but she's pro-2A & extremely patriotic all on her own.

I'm now a member of GOA, FPC, SAF & the NRA (at least until my membership expires next March. I'm still undecided about continuing.) Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Steve

Last edited:

Laufen

CALL YOUR REPS - PREVENT RED FLAG BS
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I know this is long (Hey, I'm a wordy bastard when something matters to me :noidea:). Please read.

I sent what little extra I had to the GOA last month. I decided to try & strengthen a couple of other organizations out of today's paycheck.

I joined both the Firearms Policy Coalition. They're speaking out strongly against Red Flag laws & just this week won a case in Pennsylvania restoring a man's right to won firearms because he had been subjected to an ex parte hearing (he wasn't there or represented) where a single doctor testified about his mental state. The US District Court for Eastern Pennsylvania issued a summary judgment stating that this in no way the Pennsylvania Statute met the requirements of the federal legal definition of an "adjudication". I think getting precedents like this on the books BEFORE Red Flag laws are passed will provide grounds for challenges.

“Section 302 of [Pennsylvania’s Mental Health Procedures Act, or “MHPA”] does not meet 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(4)’s permanent restriction on an individual’s ability to acquire, possess, or use a firearm,” the Court held. “While Section 302 . . . may be enough to justify an involuntary examination and treatment, the nature of [] its non-adversarial ex parte procedure without notice, or opportunity to present evidence, does not constitute an ‘adjudication’ under Section 922(g)(4); nor does Section 302’s 120-hour maximum ‘involuntary emergency examination and treatment’ constitute a ‘commitment to a mental institution’ under Section 922(g)(4).”

I also joined the 2nd Amendment Foundation. These are the guys that did all the heavy lifting on the US Supreme Court Heller case with the NRA only jumping in at the end. There is even some evidence the NRA even tried to squash the case because they thought it was "unwinnable".

It was only $25 to join the FPC & only $15 to join SAF (I added a $10 donation.) $50 is a lot of money for us these days but I feel like the Republic is truly in danger. I may have to explain to my wife because $ is so tight., but she's pro-2A & extremely patriotic all on her own.

I'm now a member of GOA, FPC, SAF & the NRA (at least until my membership expires next March. I'm still undecided about continuing.) Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Steve
Thank you brother

Reactions: Red Dawn and Grunk

Red Dawn

Wolverine
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
MURICA
Zip code

I joined both the Firearms Policy Coalition. They're speaking out strongly against Red Flag laws & just this week won a case in Pennsylvania restoring a man's right to own firearms because he had been subjected to an ex parte hearing (he wasn't there or represented) where a single doctor testified about his mental state. The US District Court for Eastern Pennsylvania issued a summary judgment stating that this in no way the Pennsylvania Statute met the requirements of the federal legal definition of an "adjudication". I think getting precedents like this on the books BEFORE Red Flag laws are passed will provide grounds for challenges.

Steve
Outstanding !! Continue to be vocal and thank you for contributions in saving our 2A rights both verbal and financial. This guy walks the walk and talks the talk !!

Reactions: Laufen and Grunk

Grunk

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Thanks for the props, guys. Not doing this to brag. I'm hoping it will encourage everybody to give what ever they can afford to any organization whose work they respect. If I have the $, I'm hoping to join Georgia Carry next month.

Reactions: Red Dawn and Laufen

Liberty

Sniper
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
All the money that I use to send the NRA now goes to GOA! Good job filling up magazine. We will need it to fight our own ( friends) in the GOP.

Reactions: Red Dawn and Grunk

Grunk

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Not exactly the most scintillating Saturday evening activity, but I have emailed the following to Trump, Perdue, Isakson & my rep. Jody Hice. I'm sure actual lawyers would debate, dismiss & nitpick some of my arguments but, screw it, I am one of "WE the People" and I want to have my say. I am sending a copy (with my email address included) snail mail to Dan Crenshaw & Lindsay Graham since their web site won't accept my emails since my zip code is not one for their constituents.

Again, not trying to brag or seeking recognition. Just trying to keep this up top & make enough noise maybe be heard over the Twitter/Media bullshit. If anyone thinks any of this is worth using, feel free to copy any or all of it to send out. Keep fighting.

August 12, 2019

Representative Dan Crenshaw
413 Cannon HOB
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Representative Crenshaw,
Though I am not one of your constituents, I am one who respects your service & believed you to be a rising champion for the Republican Party. I am sad to say your recent comments on "Red Flag" laws have led me to question this judgment. (I have emailed my Senators & Representative from Georgia as well as President Trump this letter. I am mailing it to you & Senator Lindsey Graham, another I had hoped would be a champion of the US Constitution.)
I am referring to the recent calls for legislation referred to as a "Red Flag" law to take firearms away from citizens who have been "reported" as mentally unstable by a family member or law enforcement. I cannot believe such legislation is even being considered in a free republic. One of the primary principles of the Constitution is that words & beliefs are no reason for the state to violate a citizen's natural rights. Certainly "hearsay" & "psychological evaluation" by a tipster of unknown motive is no sound basis for abandoning foundational principles. New York is trying to add teachers and those in a "close relationship" to the list of "qualified tipsters". California is adding bosses & coworkers. to the list. And how long before the list of "acceptable informants" is expanded to include just about anyone? This will probably be viewed as an over-the-top statement but it is true. Study 20th century history, this is how the Stasi in East Germany turned over half the population into informants & created an insidious police state.
These laws shred the Bill of Rights of the US Constitution. An individuals 2nd Amendment rights go out the window because of a phone call that they are "dangerous", not that this citizen has committed a crime of any kind. Since the so-called hearings for a warrant to confiscate guns under Red Flag laws are ex parte, the 6th Amendment right to confront one's accusers is destroyed. These secret evaluations with neither the accused nor professional representation for him or her completely ignore the 5th Amendment guarantee of due process. The presumption of innocence of persons accused of crimes established in Coffin v. United States (1895) & widely held to follow from the 5th, 6th & 14th Amendments is nowhere to be found in these laws. It is actually rather amazing that a single law can violate so much of our Constitution. Other than the state declaring martial law, I can't think of anything that says "Destroy the Constitution" more than this.
These laws will do nothing to enhance "gun safety" just as restraining orders have not enhanced the safety of untold numbers of women and children across the country. It may even be used against battered women by ex-partners who know they have armed themselves for protection. This type of legislation will lead to unsubstantiated tips & turn every family disagreement into a potential legal proceeding. The concept of punishment for a false statement is laughable. If someone has their property taken by government force, manages to overcome the presumption of guilt built into this legislation to be declared a "safe" individual & gets their property back (In who knows what condition. Police evidence lockers not being the most padded and protected storage facilities) and then tries to take legal action against the person who reported them in the first place, nothing will happen. The accused but now exonerated individual will have to pay an attorney to get any hope of prosecution & there will be no way to restore his or her reputation.
The threat to withhold federal funds from states not enforcing such laws is no more likely to withstand legal scrutiny than President Trump's call to withhold funds from so-called "sanctuary cities". There was a time when I believed the Republican Party stood for the Constitution and the foundational precepts of America. This "take the guns first and worry about due process later" attitude has proven me wrong.
I would welcome an opportunity to discuss this with you. Please feel free to contact me.