Hammock camping with my sons

Howard Law

jwtug

Tamer of Electrons
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Dixie (and Powder Springs)
Zip code
So my boys and I have decided to get into hammock camping. Being the cheap father of 4 that I am, we are going to try this out on a low budget. I'm going with an ENO Double nest Hammock. It has a 400lb rating. $70 @ Academy.

49b72c6ebf4547c9b1ad5bff250f8022.jpg

For my boys,(7 and 13 years old) I bought them each a $25 hammock from Walmart with a 300lb rating. We still have to pick up some rain flys and some other small things but we are all excited about this new adventure. We will try to set them up tomorrow and post some pics.

Jwtug

Reactions: Green Panther

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Should be fun. Especially with the weather cooling off like it has been.

Reactions: jwtug

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Woot was selling hammock stuff yesterday. It wasnt the deal of the day, so it might still be there. They had mosquito nets and some other stuff you might want.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
They definitely make camping, and especially backpacking easier. Unless you hate sleeping in one, you'll never go back to the tent.

You'll need something to insulate your back, they will chill you to the bone even on a 70 degree night with a little wind going.

jwtug

Tamer of Electrons
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Zip code
They definitely make camping, and especially backpacking easier. Unless you hate sleeping in one, you'll never go back to the tent.

You'll need something to insulate your back, they will chill you to the bone even on a 70 degree night with a little wind going.
Thanks for the info!

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
To make hangers

I've made mine out of mule tape, but any sufficiently strong rope will work. Mule tape is flat and packs up small though.

Get a 10-12' length piece of mule tape. Double it over, so you have a piece 6' long. Make a knot every 6-9" for the whole length. Wrap around the tree, and put the end through the loop. The knots are to catch the hooks on the hammock. As long as you have two trees less than 15-18' apart you will be able to make it work. You can buy them, but these are better.

jwtug

Tamer of Electrons
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Zip code
To make hangers

I've made mine out of mule tape, but any sufficiently strong rope will work. Mule tape is flat and packs up small though.

Get a 10-12' length piece of mule tape. Double it over, so you have a piece 6' long. Make a knot every 6-9" for the whole length. Wrap around the tree, and put the end through the loop. The knots are to catch the hooks on the hammock. As long as you have two trees less than 15-18' apart you will be able to make it work. You can buy them, but these are better.
I watched some videos on the ENO Atlas straps and like the way they work. They are $30 but I bought them anyway.

Reactions: freedom

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I have always enjoyed camping and sleeping in a hammock. I had a surplus military jungle hammock I bought from Hodges Army and Navy in Marietta when I was a teenager. It had a dark stain in t that was probably grease but I always told people it was blood. It was a little more to pack but considering it had a canvas bottom and noseeum mesh, it was not too cool to sleep in with more than a blanket. The only thing that would stop me from sleeping in a hammock would be if I was camping somewhere there were no trees!