• No

• OP's moms couch

Results are only viewable after voting.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
So I am considering reloading. I have zeroooooo experience doing so. I am looking for actual benefits of reloading here.

I dont want a low end super slow press and tools. I want to be able to crank ammo out relatively quickly to make it worth while. With that, I understand the cost to get started is higher, and therefore the cost to become beneficial is higher and will take longer to reach.

I will primarily be loading 9mm and 223/556. Mostly 9mm subs though... The only other things I really shoot are 22lr and 762x39, so those are out.

So my question is, Should I spend the money, read some books then beg someone to teach me to reload? Or just keep buying ammo...?

Reactions: sam

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I do buy reload off a guy that's been doing it longer then I've been alive. Haven't seen him in awhile. But still have some of his reload
I order ammo weekly. I'm far to busy whore posting on here to learn to reload and I could possibly break a nail, and I spend $35/month get my nails done

Reactions: Leshaire

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I tried reloading. I was doing .45 and had good success with just reading. I had a turret press but disabled the auto-turn and used it as a single stage. Pistol cartridges are pretty easy...but honestly with the cheap ammo available now in both reloaded and new forms reloading your own isn't worth it. Well,it is if you're loading some super special stuff or working for beyond match grade accuracy.
I found it diffucult to find the hours needed to get even 400 rounds done...not to mention for the first 50 rounds you'll want to stop and test the loads and adjust powder charges to find what works for ya.

It is fun and I think a good skill set to have.. learning to reload teaches you a lot about ammo in general. For a cost savings standpoint I think it is now a non starter...especially when brass 9mm can be found for $10-12.

Last edited:
Reactions: sam

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
For large quantity ammo loading you need progressive loader. Dillon press. My brother bought one. The dies are 300 and cost of everything will make the investment expensive for startup. He has been loading since 1974 so over long period of time he was able to acquire items,

Scales, brass washer. depriming rig,list goes on.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
ahh see thats kinda what I needed to know. I knew it wouldnt be cheap but I wasnt sure how cheap you guys are really cranking out ammo for. Sounds like its not worth it from a monetary standpoint. Maybe ill get a cheaper single stage to learn on one day but not gonna press it in the shorter term to try and save money..

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
ahh see thats kinda what I needed to know. I knew it wouldnt be cheap but I wasnt sure how cheap you guys are really cranking out ammo for. Sounds like its not worth it from a monetary standpoint. Maybe ill get a cheaper single stage to learn on one day but not gonna press it in the shorter term to try and save money..

It's a good skill set to have....just not one to save money with.

Reactions: Leshaire

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I can buy decent .223 brass ammo that shoots close to 1moa for 30¢. I can make a decent 55gr equivalent, that shoots better than 1moa, for about 13¢ not counting the brass. So you can save $150 a case, but it takes a lot of time in prep to get those results. But what you end up doing it's making a good round with a 69 or 77gr bullet that comes in close to what you buy cheap brass ammo for, so you end up spending what you would have anyway, you just have a better round. You can tell yourself that you're saving 70¢ a round, and you are, but you never bought match ammo by the case, so in reality you're breaking even on your actual cost, you're just getting a better result.

I believe at best, you would end up shooting more or better ammo for the same cost you were spending. At worse you spend a ton on tools and equipment, find you don't have the time (the problem I have), and never makes enough to ever recoup your costs.

Reloading is easier than many make it out to be. Start with one round to learn, so your don't have a bunch of powders laying around, seat your primers fully, and it's quite safe. Read a reloading manual, and the directions that come with the dies, and it's easy to teach yourself.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I can buy decent .223 brass ammo that shoots close to 1moa for 30¢. I can make a decent 55gr equivalent, that shoots better than 1moa, for about 13¢ not counting the brass. So you can save $150 a case, but it takes a lot of time in prep to get those results. But what you end up doing it's making a good round with a 69 or 77gr bullet that comes in close to what you buy cheap brass ammo for, so you end up spending what you would have anyway, you just have a better round. You can tell yourself that you're saving 70¢ a round, and you are, but you never bought match ammo buy the case, so in reality you're breaking even on your actual cost, you're just getting a better result.

I believe at best, you would end up shooting more or better ammo for the same cost you were spending. At worse you spend a ton on tools and equipment, find you don't have the time (the problem I have), and never makes enough to ever recoup your costs.

Reloading is easier than many make it or to be. Start with one round to learn, so your don't have a bunch of powders laying around, seat your primers fully, and it's quite safe. Read a reloading manual, and the directions that come with the dies, and it's ready to teach yourself.
that makes a lot of sense, and since im not competing or anything more than plinking really I could skip the match grade stuff in reality.

turkeyrun

Hunter
May 28, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
Save money? Definitely not.

But I look at it a bit differently.

I load 7mmRemMag. It is about $48 a box. I like 140 gr X bullets. Difficult to find in factory loads. I can load my own for ~$25.
Secondary, my son shoots 7x57. I reform range brass .270 to 7x57 and load with the same 140 gr X bullets. A load that doesn't exist in factory form.

In .223, I loaded some loads that are between a .22WMRF and .22 Hornet with 45gr WMRF bullets. Super quiet, accurate, and devastating on vermin and varmints.

Cowboy Action Shooting, I load .357, .44, and .45 C in light charges with very light lead bullets. Cheap, accurate, unobtainable otherwise.

Plus, I find reloading to be therapeutic and relaxing.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: Shemp and Laufen

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
It is only going to save you money loading expensive center fire rifle, or pricey handgun ammo. .308 and 30-06 loaded with 168 match projectiles $8.25 and $8.50 a box for me buying in bulk. About $7.50 a box for 45 Colt. 9mm---same price as cheap Walmart loads.

oio

I suck dick
Nov 17, 2015
Alpharetta
Zip code
I do a lot of reloading.
I mean a lot.
The shitty part of doing it is dealing with the mag springs, mag feed lips, and followers...they fight me constantly. Bastards.

Reactions: Shemp

coach482

Hunter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 19, 2015
Conyers GA
Zip code
Better to buy the equipment and fixings now for insurance. If we go through another ammo CRISIS every thing goes up and gets scarce.

Grandpa1466

Scout
Aug 26, 2012
North Central Texas
I tried some friends' progressive presses, but always went back to my single stage. It makes it easier to check the rounds after every stage, especially when charging the powder. After I get 100 or so rounds charged, I use a flashlight to check to make sure they all are at roughly the same level and none are double charged. The peace of mind is worth the extra time to me; you don't want to double charge and have a gun blow up in your hands.

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Dillon progressive units have an audible alarm for rouge powder charges. They work well

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I got my Dillon 650 all set up and running 223 if you want to check it out. I got my brass for free, so I'm reloading 223 for like 17 cents a round. But I'm also reloading soft points, which you don't normally find on the shelves for super cheap

Reactions: Shemp