Best starter auto knife?

Hoss

The Second Coming
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 11, 2019
Monticello
Zip code
Whenever I'm asked about the best, affordable auto knife to try I usually say an Automat Kalashnikov 74 or similar. I've always felt like the Kalashnikov Auto knives give an awesome insight to the capability of an auto knife workout the pricetag of better knives.

What would your answer be to someone looking to try an auto just to see if they want to go full speed ahead?

Grainchaser

Woodsman
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Probably pick up a Kershaw Launch for under a $100.00 if you look around. I had one for a minute, gave it to my brother in law, who loves it. I liked it as well, fired well, decent steel and good ergos. Not as "refined" as a Protech, but at a third or less cost, not bad.

Reactions: Hoss

Mac11FA

Petrolsexual
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
OTF knives are not a good price point for 1st auto knife. I have a Kershaw assisted opening knife that I loved and carried for many years (I stopped carrying because it had no pocket clip) and still have it.

There are so many different types of knives out there and everyone has their favorite. Most folding knives can open like an auto knife now some even better. I have owned all types of knives.

I was carrying an OTF knife almost daily and beating the shit out of it. Is did what I asked of it. Recently, though, I have gone back a step to a manual flipper knife as I desired a robust blade that I could not get cheaply in an OTF knife or not at all.

So far, other than the cool factor of pressing a button and have the blade eject and retract, I have more in the flipper knife than any of the "Auto" knives and it didn't break the bank. Will I still carry my OTF knives? Hell yeah!