Best available self defense ammo for revolvers

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

GunGeezer

Scout
Dec 4, 2016
I'm looking to get a revolver for my home defense but am unsure of the caliber I should go for.

I live in a duplex with neighbors to my right, however should an intruder enter I'm more likely to be shooting to the left side of the house due to its layout and I'll probably be in the bedroom. I spend most my time in there with the TV or reading.

So i am wondering what type of caliber i should be looking for these purposes? Im used to shooting all different types so control wont be the main thing to consider this time around.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
I'm a fan of buying a .357 gun if I'm thinking of using .38 spl. You then have a choice of shooting either .357 or .38.

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
MarciaA,

I really don't think the wall in your house will stop a .38, most houses are made usually with 2 pieces or drywall 3/8 thick, insulation in between and vinyl siding on the outside. Not much there to stop a bullet. You always hear about someone getting shot in the house by someone doing a drive by. 

Now, as far as a caliber for self defense, I like T.L. like a 357 so that I can use both 38 and 357. I guess I always like the 2 for 1 deal :)

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
You can't rely on walls to stop bullets.  While it would likely slow the bullet down significantly, anything for .380 and up will likely penetrate.  Best option to avoid wall penetration is to ensure quality, and accurate, hits on target.  Even then, there is always a chance of a thru & thru shot and still going through a wall.  I support the above opinions.  .357mag gives you the ability to run .38spcl which gives you way more options.