.308 ammo

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I recently picked up my first .308 and would like some info on what ammo to use. I do plan on using the suppressor with this one, so subsonic ammo will be needed. This will primarily be a bench gun, with possible hunting.

What brands should I look at and what should I stay away from?

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
If you are wanting to reload, look at trailboss powder.
If you want to buy subsonic ammo, its available, but pretty expensive

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
If you are wanting to reload, look at trailboss powder.
If you want to buy subsonic ammo, its available, but pretty expensive
No reloading for this guy. I barely have time to go to the range and clean my guns, much less reload.

Reactions: Rwjeter

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Cudruln, do you have any friends who are precision-oriented loaders of ammo? This is as opposed to huge-quantity reloaders. What you want is someone who can work with you to develop and then produce an ideal load for you and your rifle. This would be a lot less expensive than going to commercial and the resulting loads would be custom-tailored to your rifle.

Using a decent chronograph would go a long way toward helping you figure out how you want loads modified for your needs.

Also - exactly what cartridge are you thinking of using? When someone states ".308", it usually means ".308 Winchester" or "7.62 NATO". I get the impression you may be thinking of a round for an AR platform, though.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
@Cudruln you might want to make a trip to Georgia Arms. It's right down the road from us. You know where it is? They have a good selection of ammo and do some custom loads.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Cudruln, do you have any friends who are precision-oriented loaders of ammo? This is as opposed to huge-quantity reloaders. What you want is someone who can work with you to develop and then produce an ideal load for you and your rifle. This would be a lot less expensive than going to commercial and the resulting loads would be custom-tailored to your rifle.

Using a decent chronograph would go a long way toward helping you figure out how you want loads modified for your needs.

Also - exactly what cartridge are you thinking of using? When someone states ".308", it usually means ".308 Winchester" or "7.62 NATO". I get the impression you may be thinking of a round for an AR platform, though.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't personally know anybody that reloads. The weapon of choice is the savage 10 fcp-sr. I will definitely check into this

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
@Cudruln you might want to make a trip to Georgia Arms. It's right down the road from us. You know where it is? They have a good selection of ammo and do some custom loads.
That's something I didn't think about. I know where they are at and will make a trip out there.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code

Georgia Arms does not make a subsonic .308 load.

Reactions: Cudruln

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Georgia Arms does not make a subsonic .308 load.

Sometimes they have other stuff not on their site in store. And they might be willing to load it. Worst case scenario I usually end up buying ammo I forgot I needed. Lol.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Sometimes they have other stuff not on their site in store. And they might be willing to load it. Worst case scenario I usually end up buying ammo I forgot I needed. Lol.

I just texted my buddy that works there and asked him.

Reactions: Cudruln and Rwjeter

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I did a little reading. Your subsonic .308 Winchester loads would require use of a fast pistol powder and a lot of careful research up front to get a combination that would work well for you. The rifling in the barrel should have a 1:10 or 1:8 twist. Bullet weights will run about 170gr to 200gr. A lot of testing will be needed to ensure reliable and repeatable functioning, velocity, and accuracy.

Reactions: Cudruln and Rwjeter